Saturday, March 3, 2012

belated celebrations

To close out the birthday month appropriately, a friend and I grabbed some grub at 
the Boxing Room in Hayes Valley.

Cajun food & zinfandel on tap. Yes, please.


To begin with, we shared fresh Miyagi oysters, & deep-fried alligator drizzled with creole remoulade. I didn't expect to enjoy the alligator because it was, well...alligator. But holy cow- the combination of subtle flavors immediately melted in my mouth. I will definitely be ordering that beast again.

Next we were on to the house jambalaya, topped with a delectable duck breast. I was a little unsure about eating the duck initially. The only other time that I've eaten duck was in Amsterdam when I pointed to something in Dutch on the menu- hoping that it would be a good choice. Not so much. However, this duck was quite tender & tasty.

Out of respect,  I may refrain from doing my duck impression for a few days.

The night was not ending here. We were feeling an intense sweet tooth coming on and wanted some ICE-CREAM. We threw on our coats & began trekking it to Bi Rite Creamery. Having never been here before, I was anticipating a regular old ice cream parlor. Oh, was I wrong.

When we arrived, they immediately threw us samples of earl grey, orange cardamom, toasted coconut, snicker doodle, & salted caramel. And they weren't stopping there. I ended up with 3 scoops and wish I had ordered more.  With our ice-creams in hand, we walked up to the Castro and thought about grabbing a second round of desserts at bisou. Instead, we opted for some champagne & French introductions.

Good Birthday Month. Success.


No comments:

Post a Comment