Thursday, January 26, 2012

Cookie Monster Inc.


Almond Macaroon


A few years ago, I operated a small cookie business in Santa Barbara. At the time, I also worked as a barista in a local coffee shop and absolutely loved it.  I thought I had found my niche- ready to slave behind an espresso machine for the rest of my life.

To supplement my coffee making skills, I began to bake cookies of all shapes and sizes- with almond macaroons being everyone's favorite. Everyday after work, I'd rush home and turn on the oven to begin baking. I'd get the KitchenAid in place, decide on an (innovative) recipe, and begin baking for the next 4 hours. I couldn't let my coffee shop customers down- even at the expense of 4 less hours of sleep.

Life was good.

A couple of months later, my romanticized idea of working as a full-time barista & maintaining a successful cookie business began to dissipate. It was a dog-eat-dog world in the cookie industry and let's just say I wasn't prepared to fight the other "cookie lady" for counter space any longer.

Fortunately for my parents, they were glad to see me move on to bigger and (better?) things.



Almond Macaroon Recipe

The preparation method for making these little guys is quite simple.
  • 1 (7 oz) package almond paste
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 egg whites
  • 3 dozen blanched whole almonds
  • 1/2 cup shredded organic coconut

Grease your cookie sheet. Break the almond paste into smaller pieces and add them to the flour and sugar mixture. Add egg whites and extracts and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for about 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.

Place the dough in a decorating bag fitted with a #9 rosette tip. Pipe the dough onto the cookie sheet in 2 inch rounds. Top each with an almond and sprinkle with coconut. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. In the meantime, set the oven to 325. After 30 minutes, bake the cookies until edges are light brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet and place on a cooling rack.

Note: if you want to add more almonds or coconut while they are baking- that's always a good option. My friends always love more coconut than the recipe calls for. And for a finishing touch, you may top the cookies with a pinch of powdered sugar. Viola.



Perfect for adorning true dessert masterpieces


Renaud's hazelnut cake.
#happybirthdaynico

1 comment: